Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Aconcagua aftermath--February 16

Almost two weeks have passed since I arrived home, and my electric yellow North Face duffel still sits in the corner of my bedroom, a few bedraggled compression sacks, bundled pairs of socks, and my AAI hat lingering inside. My pile of clean climbing clothes is still perched on top of the dryer. Not sure why I can't finish unpacking, throw the duffel into storage in the dormer closet, and put away the clean clothes. Maybe it's because I need to set another goal first. I toy with committing to a climb of Rainier via the Emmons route in late July. It would be my 5th Climb to Fight Breast Cancer climb, so I would have to start fundraising, and I would have to keep training. I've never climbed that route on Rainier, and it entails a longer hike in, a much heavier pack, and 5000' of vertical on summit day, but it's far less crowded than the Muir route. I swore that if I ever climbed Rainier again (after summits in '86, '96, and '08), I would make the approach from another side of the mountain.

Previously, I had made a decision to forego any additional climbs this year. But it's like labor. While you're climbing, it's easy to lose sight of your goal and just focus on how much it hurts or how difficult it is, and you swear you're never going to do it again. Then as soon as you're finished, you're planning the next one. Apparently I'm very goal oriented. I have to plunk something out there on my calendar so I can aim towards it. More babies are out of the question. Best be climbing or hiking instead.

My American flight landed at SeaTac at 1:15 PM on Thursday, February 4, exactly 24 hours after my departure from Mendoza. I had fantasized about arriving home early (I was due home on the 8th), but my fantasy revolved around reaching the summit during inviting sunny weather before using any of our extra days for inclement weather, not retreating after encountering scary winds. Tom waited for me just on the another side of security, a welcome sight. Upon pulling into our driveway, I was greeted with a huge painted banner hanging by our entry, "Bravo Julie." A bottle of champagne sat on the front step, and plastic flowers, twirling in the wind, decorated the entire front lawn. The scene had Jill's signature all over it. Very touching.

Kona and Bella danced quite the jig when I walked into the mudroom. Reminded me of one of my favorite jokes:
 Lock your husband and your dog in the trunk of your car for an hour. Open the trunk and see who's happy to see you.
 No complaints here, though. Tom was also very happy to have me home safe and sound.

In the two weeks that have since elapsed, my body finally wound down so that I could relish the comfort of my large bed with its soft cotton sheets, the joy of sitting on a toilet seat (no more pee funnel!), and the thrill of being clean. I've been back at the gym every day save one, at Body Pump or Boot Camp classes or on a cardio machine. Haven't been able to stomach any interval work yet. Its time will come. I have thoughts of hitting the trail again soon, once a warm sunny day comes along.

Many friends have asked what became of Jim K's quest for the summit. Rumor has it that he made it to the summit about a week later, which has to mean that he endured a long week of gale-force winds and frigid temperatures somewhere on the mountain. As far as I know, he still has all his fingers and toes, along with a greatly inflated ego. I'm sure more of the story will eventually trickle down through the Grajales porters to Stuart, who is now leading AAI's last climb of the season down there. AAI's Team X, which started a week behind us, was also turned forced to turn back after two very windy nights (and the loss of two tents) at High Camp.

Others on the team: Jim M already has plans to venture back to Aconcagua next year, with the hope that the third time is the charm. Helvecio is training for a marathon in Illinois in May, Ritesh is eating two lunches a day to put on the 7 lbs he lost, Liz will soon be training for a Mt Baker climb in August, and Daniel is back at work and pondering future snow/glacial climbs (no more scree for him). No one has heard from Richard and Marcel, but we are anxiously awaiting an album of thousands of photos from Marcel.

Next for me: Playa Las Tortugas, Mexico, in March and Greece in May
I'll write again when I'm back on the road.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment