Monday, May 31, 2010

Back home

It is nothing short of remarkable that Tom and I flew 12 flights during our trip to Greece--dodging volcanic ash, two country-wide strikes in Greece, and a British Air strike--and didn't encounter one delay or cancellation. Very contrary to my history in the air.

Greece has so much to offer, and although we were fortunate enough to experience both the mountains and the sea on our visit, we feel that we hardly scratched the surface. If we are lucky enough to return some day, Crete, the Peloponnese Peninsula, and countless smaller islands still await. Maybe by then, the Greek economy will have made a comeback. Though, outside of Athens, there was not a place where we could notice any unrest. Imagine returning a rental car to a public lot at an airport and just leaving the keys under the mat. Exactly what we did, twice.

Ten flights fill my schedule during the next ten days, but they are to far more mundane locations. At least they're still for pleasure--taking Maggie to graduation at the Cate School, visiting and touring University of Oregon with her, visiting my parents, attending my Middlebury reunion. Then I'm looking forward to a peaceful summer at home in Seattle. After turning our heat back on during the Memorial Day weekend, I have high hopes that the sun will someday return.

No comments:

Post a Comment